The roasted tomatoes contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant which has been shown to help reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration (vision loss as you age).
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 58 minutes
Prep: 18 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes
For the Rosemary Garlic Roasted Tomatoes (serves 4)
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tablespoon chopped rosemary
- ⅛ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¾ recipe Rosemary Garlic Roasted Tomatoes (above)
- 1 avocado
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- 8 ounce package halloumi cheese, cut into 8 slices
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 8 pasteurized eggs (I like Davidson’s Safest Choice)
- 8 slices whole grain sourdough bread
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Microgreens for garnish (optional)
For the Rosemary Garlic Roasted Tomatoes:
- Preheat oven to roast at 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a large enough bowl, toss the sliced tomatoes with olive oil. Make sure each tomato slice is coated
- Spread the sliced tomatoes in one layer on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle each tomato with some garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Roast on the top shelf of the oven for 15-20 minutes, making sure the tomatoes are cooking evenly.
For the egg and cheese sandwich:
- While tomatoes are cooking, in a medium bowl, mash together avocado, lime juice, and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan (or a grill pan) over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to coat the pan.
- Place 2-3 slices of halloumi in the pan and cook for one minute. Turn and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the cheese has softened and browned. The cheese should not melt. (I recommend turning on your vent when doing this step.) Remove from pan and continue with the remaining slices of cheese. Set aside.
- Poach eggs: Fill a medium saucepan with a shallow layer of water and bring to a simmer. Crack egg into a small dish (I like to cook them one or two at a time). When the water comes to a simmer, gently tip the dish into the water so the egg can slide out. Gently simmer the egg for about 3-4 minutes until the egg white is firm but the yolk is still runny. Use a slotted spoon to remove poached egg to a plate and repeat with the remaining eggs.
- While the eggs are poaching, toast bread to desired crispness.
- Spread 2 teaspoons mashed avocado on each slice of toasted bread. Top with 2 slices of pan-fried/grilled halloumi cheese. Place 2-3 roasted tomatoes on the cheese and top with 2 poached eggs. Season with a pinch of Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and microgreens if desired. Serve with a side salad.
Nutrition Information (per 2 slices bread, without microgreens)
Total Fat: 38 grams
Saturated Fat: 16 grams
Protein: 33 grams
Carbohydrates: 37 grams
Sugar: 6 grams
Fiber: 7 grams
Cholesterol: 417 milligrams
Sodium: 904 milligrams